Friday, December 16, 2011

Trend Alert: Collar Necklaces + DIY!


Before I get into the Do It Yourself (DIY) instructions, I'm just going to let you know a little bit about this trend. The first place I saw this was on Free People's website and I fell in love with it! As you guys have probably seen bow ties have been a big trend among girls for the past year. I wasn't a big fan of that, but I'm very excited about this trend because I think it is more girly and cute.

Originally Priced from $300- $800. The one I made cost me $6 and it was fun to make!

DIY

Materials:
  • A piece of felt. You can use any color
  • Sequins, beads, studs, pearls, lace or anything you want to decorate with
  •  Ribbon for tying it
  •  Scissors
  •  Hot glue gun
  •  Paper and marker
Instructions:
  1. Make a template with a piece of paper: draw one half of the collar on the paper and cut it out. It should look like a comma. Place it on the felt and trace with a felt marker, then flip the template over so it looks like a complete collar and trace that half too.
  2. Cut out the collar. Don’t cut them separately, make sure the two halves are connected when you cut so you don’t end up with two pieces.
  3. With a hot glue gun glue on whatever you want to decorate with. If using sequins, try to overlap them so as not to leave any spaces. Its easiest to put the glue on the felt in patches then put many on at one time.
  4. Cut two pieces of ribbon of equal length. Flip the collar over and glue them where the collar ends. Make sure they are long enough to tie.
  5. That's it! Tie the ribbon and pair it with any black tee or even a boring sweater to glam it up a bit.

This is the original one I saw on Free People. Then after researching it I found a whole bunch more! Here are some of my favorites!



All original necklaces are made by the brand Dannijo.

xo
-A

No comments:

Post a Comment